Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The traveling circus

Whew. I'm back. After having Kara visit from Missouri for 5 days, I zipped off to sunny South Carolina to see Amy and Jon for a long weekend. Two days later Joel and I left with his family for a 14 hour drive out to Ohio in an RV for Daniel and Kaydrie's wedding. I spent the last week doing insane amounts of laundry, grocery shopping, enjoying home cooked meals (it really didn't take long for them to feel like a novelty again) and painting several rooms in the house to get it ready for this weekend. Don't worry- I used to No VOC paint which is safe for Baby.

This weekend Daniel and Kaydrie have a wedding celebration for their Connecticut friends and family. Joel and I will be hosting Easter dinner on Sunday for the Lagans and Clymers- 21 people in the immediate family and more if grandparents end up coming. I wasn't worried about it at all until I actually considered how much space tables for that many people will take up... pretty much any that we have. We have a yard and a patio which would be great except Sunday is supposed to be really stormy. Lindz and David will be around to help prep the food, set things up and in general make life more rich.

Next week Dad, Mom and Rach get back to the States and the following weekend Julie graduates. At my Dr's appointment this morning I was told I probably won't be allowed to travel to it. In other words, my Dr actually thinks that she can tell me where I am and am not allowed to go. I understand a strong recommendation against it, but to tell me that I'm not ALLOWED to go brought out that very small part of me that does things out of spite. I really wanted to say "Well, since I'm a grown woman, you bet your bottom dollar I'll be going- because I love my sister dearly but also because you're being silly." Unfortunately I can't do that. My decisions affect someone else now a whole lot more than they have before. I'm probably still going to end up going since I have no real concern to expect early labor or pregnancy complications but I've got an appointment the day before I leave to get clearance from a Dr. I have a sneaking suspicion that she'll let me go IF I promise to stop and stretch every 2 hours... which will make the 12 hour drive closer to 14.

It's times like this, when home is more like rest stop during a trip, when much of my time is spent commuting, when Joel and I have a huge stock of books on CD, that remind me how much we love traveling. Despite the inconveniences, the cost, the energy required, it's still exciting to us. We still look forward to seeing everyone and it's easier to forgo desperately needed sleep in exchange for 2 hours at the wheel because we're on a highway to somewhere to see someone we love.

A few weeks ago we registered at Babies R Us. I think the most expensive thing we asked for was a pack 'n play. We also are so thankful for the comfy car seat we were given and requested a gigantuan diaper bag, several sippy cups and good car window shades. On both of our priority list was good gear to make travel easy for this kid- because we intend to do lots of it still. Baby will learn to sleep in a car seat, to amuse him/herself for a long time or sing along to music. If not by nature then by necessity.

Joel has an inate wanderlust in him, mine however was developed. I can not tell you the number of times I wondered why Dad and Mom insisted we leave the airport to tour London when I was so tired, or added an entire day to an already long trip so we could see the Dakota's Badlands and Mt Rushmore. I went along with it because I had no choice. But then came college and Lindz and I bonded over trips like that- a last minute 30 hour trek to Texas for a wedding only to turn around that same night so we could make it back for work on Monday. A flight out to San Clemente, CA got us lost and stranded on the LA beach line. We barely made it back in time for Aunty Judy to pick us up at the airport. Countless trips between CT, PA, NJ and OH have made us sickeningly familiar with Hwy 84, 91, 287, 80, 76, 13 and Rt 1. All of a sudden the whole idea of dragging myself all over the place was something I LIKED. I LIKE seeing people I love. I LIKE seeing new places. I LIKE building the kind of memories with people that only endless hours in a car seems to build.

Whether Baby is born with Joel's wanderlust or my homebody side, we will teach it to LIKE traveling too.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think just about any doctor would tell you not to travel, but you're exactly right. Stop, stretch, walk a bit, and go to the bathroom every 2 hours (A full bladder can cause contractions or a UTI). I can't imagine you not being there for Julie's graduation! I vote you go! Give her a hug! If you have questions or anything would happen, you know my cell. Love you, Shan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I vote I go too. Not sure the Dr's approval is going to mean much at all. I'm still standing after last week... which pretty much means I can take on the world.

    ReplyDelete